A number of tax-related limits that affect businesses are annually indexed for inflation. Many have increased for 2021, while some have stayed the same due to low inflation. Here’s a rundown of those that may be important to you and your business.
Social Security tax
The amount of employees’ earnings that are subject to Social Security tax is capped for 2021 at $142,800 (up from $137,700 for 2020).
- Section 179 expensing:
- Limit: $1.05 million (up from $1.04 million for 2020)
- Phaseout: $2.62 million (up from $2.59 million)
- Income-based phaseout for the Sec. 199A qualified business income deduction begins at:
- Married filing jointly: $329,800 (up from $326,600)
- Married filing separately: $164,925 (up from $163,300)
- Other filers: $164,900 (up from $163,300)
Deduction for eligible business-related food and beverage expenses provided by a restaurant: 100% (up from 50%).
- Employee contributions to 401(k) plans: $19,500 (unchanged from 2020)
- Catch-up contributions to 401(k) plans: $6,500 (unchanged)
- Employee contributions to SIMPLEs: $13,500 (unchanged)
- Catch-up contributions to SIMPLEs: $3,000 (unchanged)
- Combined employer/employee contributions to defined contribution plans: $58,000 (up from $57,000)
- Maximum compensation used to determine contributions: $290,000 (up from $285,000)
- Annual benefit for defined benefit plans: $230,000 (up from $225,000)
- Compensation defining a highly compensated employee: $130,000 (unchanged)
- Compensation defining a “key” employee: $185,000 (unchanged)
Other employee benefits
- Qualified transportation fringe-benefits employee income exclusion: $270 per month (unchanged)
- Health Savings Account contributions:
- Individual coverage: $3,600 (up from $3,550)
- Family coverage: $7,200 (up from $7,100)
- Catch-up contribution: $1,000 (unchanged)
- Flexible Spending Account contributions:
- Health care: $2,750 (unchanged)
- Dependent care: $5,000 (unchanged)
These are only some of the tax limits that may affect your business and additional rules may apply. If you have questions, please contact your DunlapSLK team member.